Monday, July 1, 2013

Starting at the beginning, pulling together a vision. My first photoshoot - LOVED IT!

When the lovely ladies of New Orleans Weddings Magazine asked me if I wanted to design a tablescape for one of the issues coming up, I was over the moon excited. Of course I want to do a tablescape! A tablescape is an artistic arrangement of articles on a table (according to Wikipedia). So often as a planner I get to pull together your vision of your wedding. With my own tablescape I get to be creative and pull together my vision.

Like many events, there were central colors and a venue. That's where you start. I was given the colors coral, cream and gold and the Champagne Palace as my location. That's it....an open canvas, if you will, to pull together my vision in this awesome location with some gorgeous colors.

Who knew coral, cream and gold had so many options???!!! To narrow it down I went to my favorite color palette creating website to create my palette. I love playing with colors but narrowing it down was kind of hard. So I kept at it and below is the finished product. It doesn't have to be perfect, because just giving your florist and other vendors actual colors is a great help!
After getting my color palette together I then went straight to Pinterest to start my inspiration board! I looked up coral, cream and gold weddings, tables, decorations, etc. There was so much to see and use! But I fell in love with one in particular from Style Unveiled. Not the same exact colors or an even close on the setting, but I loved the inspiration!
So far I loved what I was seeing online and on my board. You can see more of the Inspiration board on my Pinterest board. I was beginning to see my vision....my tablescape. I then went on to see my venue - Champagne Palace. It is gorgeous and has a gorgeous courtyard.
 


After seeing the courtyard, we knew exactly where to do the shoot! But we also knew we wanted to bring in current trends like vintage style. And while vintage is in right now and the inspiration comes from a vintage style, I couldn't very well do a true vintage style in this setting. Champagne Palace is grand, gorgeous and lavish, and if I wanted vintage at all, it had to be subtle and in smaller ways. So I used bits and pieces. The multi-shaped and mercury vases and vessels added touches of vintage while the gold overlay, brooches, and gold lanterns provided the opulence to match the environment.



We loved the way things were coming together and we could see the coral, cream and gold as well as touches of vintage and opulence working together.





(LESSON ALERT: ALWAYS HAVE ALTERNATIVES AND PLAN Bs) When working an outside space, you have to be ready to adapt to what you have and what you can do. The day of our photoshoot it was raining....and rained for at least an hour.

We scouted Champagne Palace and knew we could move inside if we needed to. But luckily it stopped and we set up outside in the courtyard. When working with Event Rentals, it's important to know your "punch list." This is a list of items they will pull to deliver to your event and this is what will be on your contract. For this "event" or photoshoot we needed the following: drapery, poles to hang drapes, bases, chandelier, dinner settings, chairs, etc.

(LESSON ALERT: ALWAYS DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK YOUR CONTRACTS EVEN IF YOU ARE WORKING CLOSELY WITH THE VENDOR AND KNOW THEM. THE CONTRACT IS THE FINAL SAY ON WHAT IS ACTUALLY DELIVERED.) 



We created a Sweetheart table for our lovely hypothetical couple. And it was sweet! The table was set off and intimate by framing it in front of the fountain. Overhead, we used a crystal ball chandelier to enhance the intimacy by lowering the ‘ceiling' and creating its own space in the courtyard.



Keep an eye out in the future New Orleans Weddings Magazines for the finished tablescape as well as all the detailed shots of our tablescape by Oscar Rajo. I can't wait to see them! Thank you to the following vendors for working with me on this:
This tablescape was planned and designed by It's Your Time Events. If you are interested in working with It's Your Time Events to plan and design your event, please contact Erin@It'sYourTimeEvents.com or call 985-234-9757.